so once I asked my dad about how to something in sex and he showed me a porn video of how to do it. is it haram to watch porn for the purpose of education? and is it haram to ask daddy about sex positions?
Wa’alaykum as Salām wa rahmatullāhi wa barakātuhu,
Pornography is material that is sexually oriented and intended primarily to arouse the reader, the viewer, or the listener.
It may depict nudity or sexual behavior, and includes written materials such as romance novels, photographs, videos, electronic images, video games, internet chat rooms, erotic telephone conversations and texts, music, or other media.
The use of all types of pornographic material is impermissible; hence, the one who engages in such has committed a serious violation of the Laws of Allāh and should immediately turn back to Him in repentance.
A Muslim should abstain from all immoral and lewd obsessions, particularly those materials that are very destructive to our health and Imān.
One of the objectives of the Sharī’ah is “Do not cause harm and do not reciprocate harm”.
Having said that, the harms of pornography are innumerable, irrespective of the intent behind engaging in such.
Consider the following harms of pornography:
- Pornography contributes to social and psychological problems within men and women.
- It leads to chronic masturbation when an individual has the extreme need to masturbate regularly.
- Pornography has a numbing effect on reality; it renders real sexual intercourse and the real-world boring in comparison. It particularly anesthetizes the emotional life of a person.
- It is highly addictive and leaves a person helpless and always in need of it. This is such an addiction that it persists into adulthood and in many cases, the addiction persists for one’s entire life.
- It causes uncertainty about sexual values and creates distorted perceptions about sexuality.
- It decreased the ability to perform physically in intimate relationships.
- It aims at objectifying people and emphasizes fulfilling one’s desires irrespective of how it is done.
These are some of the many health-related harms that are caused by viewing any form of pornography. The negative effects that it leaves on our Imān and spirituality are too many to mention. In brief, a person is bereaved of his spirituality and of the light of his Imān – he becomes a walking corpse.
In terms of asking one’s parents regarding sexual positions, then it should be noted that there is no prohibition in asking to educate oneself. However, respect and dignity should be maintained when asking others, especially those who are senior in age.