Can a Hanafi follow Shafi prayer time for Asr prayer?
I live in a country whose asr salaah time is according to maliki-shafi in every masjid throughout the country.
As a strict follower of the hanafi mazhab,
(1) can I join the jamaat asr salaah in shafi time without repeating it later when it is time for hanafi?
(2) Can I lead the Jamaat Asr Salaah as an Imam in shafi time?
(3) Can I pray alone in shafi time without repeating it?
Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barkatuhu,
You have two options in this case:
1) You either follow the view of Imam Abu Hanifa (may Allah be pleased with him) and strictly adhere to that ruling. In this case, you perform your own prayer in Asr time. Praying Asr in Shafi time will not be valid,
2) You follow the view of the two students of Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Abu Yusuf and Imam Muhammad (may Allah be pleased with them all). In this case, the time of Asr for you will always be according to Shafi time. If ever you delay Dhuhr until that time, the Dhuhr prayer will be Qadha.
Both the above views are valid in the Hanafi Madhab, but you can only choose and practice on one.
If you follow the first view, you can join the Asr jamaat with the intention of Nafl prayers. Thus, you will pray Asr once the time of Asr sets in. Likewise, you cannot be the Imam and you cannot pray alone in this time.
If you follow the second view, you may join the Asr prayer and would not have to repeat the prayer later, you can lead the prayer, and you may also pray Asr individually in Shafi time.
وانظر هل إذا لزم من تأخيره العصر إلى المثلين فوت الجماعة يكون الأولى التأخير أم لا، والظاهر الأول بل يلزم لمن اعتقد رجحان قول الإمام تأمل. ثم رأيت في آخر شرح المنية ناقلا عن بعض الفتاوى أنه لو كان إمام محلته يصلي العشاء قبل غياب الشفق الأبيض فالأفضل أن يصليها وحده بعد البياض.