Crying at Someones Feet
I want to know.. is it permissible to lie on floor near one’s mother’s feet and cry in order to ask for her forgiveness if we think that we may have hurt her knowingly or unknowingly by our actions? If it is not acceptable, then what should a person do if he did this act in past?
Wa’alaykum as Salām wa rahmatullāhi wa barakātuhu,
Islām is an easy and simple way of life which – all praise be to Allāh – has provided solutions for everything.
If you wish to ask your mother for forgiveness then the following should be done:
- Ensure that you have stopped all wrongs against her.
- Be regretful over the wrongs against her that has passed.
- Have full determination never to commit those wrongs in future.
- Simply ask her to forgive you.
You may also:
- Make Duʿā for her forgiveness with the intention that Allāh will use it as a means to forgive you.
- Give charity on her behalf.
It is not a condition for seeking forgiveness from any person that one has to be near their feet whilst crying.
If one had already done so previously, then there is no problem. However, it may be avoided in future.